Sunday 11 May 2014

My narrative and my practice - Thinking about my work.

Recently I submitted a proposal for a book to unbinding the book http://www.unbindingthebook.com/

I submitted the existing narrative I have worked on for this major project. This has been a great opportunity to reflect upon my work. In the proposal I had to write about my narrative and its intention.
I have compiled a wordless narrative with an underlying creative conscience. The narrative I have been developing is about a father and son's bleak journey across a baron, assumed apocalyptic world. The narrative is left to some interpretation but a message of a ravaged world is inferred visually, as the narrative will be entirely wordless.

The narrative aims to imply the harsh and bleak reality of life on the road in a ravaged, lawless world. The imagery hopes to be impactive and thought provoking, and to have an epic quality, playing on the juxtaposition of the wandering figures.

Furthermore, the environmental message will be an underlying theme, as we journey across the world we will focus on the intimate relationship and bond between the father and son as as they wander hopelessly on. The eventual demise of the father in the latter stages of the story leave the child to wander the baron world alone. Isolation, loss create further empathy toward the story and the

Beautifully hand drawn in colour pencil, challenging the conception of the medium in producing textural, atmospheric scenes.

Aiming to provoke environmental awareness and conscience through its harsh depiction of a potential reality in the not so distant future.

The wordless narrative creates an ambiguity in the interpretation of the imagery and message being inferred. This realised within a beautifully hand bound book with a bespoke aesthetic will hopefully create the impact and stand out quality the project deserves. I have already began creating/visualising imagery and have undertaken vast storyboarding toward the conveyance of the narrative.

The narrative is wordless, ranging from single image across double spreads, to some panelled imagery in sequence when narrative pacing suits. It is however, not intended to be construed as a graphic novel in format, but a powerful wordless narrative.


My practice

My practice is an ongoing dialogue between drawing and printmaking. Experimental gestural mark-making and technical drawing, feeding woodcut and lithographic prints. In turn feeding and being fed by the high contrasting sharp finish of woodcut and photolithography.
The visa-versa nature of this dialogue keeps my practice evolving ever searching for more effective ways of expressing images both stand alone and in sequence with the drawn line.

My work embodies a visual identity focused upon dramatic scenes and lighting, high contrast aesthetics with a cinematic feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment